Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of the Ikeja Special offences court has granted permission to two witnesses who sought to testify online in the ongoing case against Chukwudimeme Oneuamadike, known as Evans the notorious kidnapper.

Justice Taiwo granted the permission following an application by Ms S.O Fashola, the state prosecutor seeking that the evidence of the two witnesses be heard virtually as the witnesses are scared for their lives and that of their families.

The judge in his ruling noted that the court was satisfied with the cogent reasons given by the prosecution for the witnesses to be heard virtually.

What happened in court

On the last adjourned date, Mr Yusuf Sule, one of the state’s prosecutors had told the court that the witnesses do not wish to testify physically in court and that an application will be filed in that regard.

At the resumed hearing on Monday, Ms S.O Fashola prayed the court to grant an application seeking to hear the evidence of two prosecution witnesses via audiovisual means.

Justice Taiwo who granted the application held thus:

This court is satisfied that the prosecution has given cogent reasons why Section 210 of the Evidence Act 2011 and Section 200(2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law as amended should avail the prosecution.

“It is stated on the affidavit that the witnesses are concerned for their lives and that of their families and they now live outside the jurisdiction of the court.

“In the light of this and in the interest of justice and expedite action, I hereby grant the application as prayed.”

“The case is adjourned to Dec. 17 for hearing. The prosecution should ensure that necessary arrangements are made,” the judge held.

He then adjourned the matter until December 17 for a hearing.

What you should know

Evans is being prosecuted alongside Victor Aduba, a dismissed soldier on a four-counts charge bordering kidnapping and unlawful possession of firearms.
The duo was alleged to have kidnapped one Mr Sylvanus Ahamonu, held him hostage for nine weeks and received a ransom of $420,000 from his family.